"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Sunday, June 19, 2011

tabbetha mccale evans


"I have lived in Kansas City most my life and have been constructing textiles from a young age. I learned to knit, sew, crochet and embroider from my mom and grandma. As a kid, I was always making something for my self or my dolls. I used to create whole environments for my dolls sewing furniture from fabric, making tables from discarded blocks of wood even making small paper books and notebooks.



The love of creating continued and led me to the Kansas City Art Institute and the fiber department. In college, I started a series of fetish dolls. I worked on these for a couple of years, but abandoned them for other kinds of projects. When I found out about the CTT fundraiser, I was excited for two reasons: First, to help such a wonderful cause, second, a chance to get back to making dolls.

I have been lucky enough to work for a few great Kansas City textile havens. I worked for years at Cy Rudnick’s fabrics, then after college worked at Asiatica. Currently I design full time for Peruvian Connection where I have worked for about 17 years, a job that allows me to travel the world and feed my loved of ethnographic textiles."
- Tabbetha

Tabbetha is new to the Doll Project this year. She is another artist I have had the privilege of meeting for the first time. Philomene Bennett recommended that I get in touch with Tabbetha, and I'm very glad I did. Isn't this a lovely doll?

DON'T FORGET!! BIDDING ON THE DOLLS HAS BEGUN. IF YOU CANNOT ATTEND THE EVENT ON THE 24TH AND WOULD LIKE TO HAVE A STAND-IN BIDDER WORK ON YOUR BEHALF, GO TO THIS WEBSITE TO FIND OUT HOW TO MAKE THAT HAPPEN!

Tabbetha's doll has a current bid of $75.

No comments: