"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Thursday, June 02, 2011

joline el-hai and dave lefebvre


Dave welded the armature for the lamp. Joline did the rest. This talented duo is from Seattle. Joline's Bella Luz Studio produces such wonderful work. I know you'll enjoy taking a look at her website.

The materials used to make this striking piece include: iron, scraps from nightlight production, beads, antique sequins, fabric and chicken wishbone. It comes with a 15-watt bulb and electric cord.



Joline, who I have never met but sure hope to some day, wrote the following:

"In a skirt of light this doll travels. As I fashioned the skirt, made of strips of studio remnants, I was thinking of the strip cloth that I encountered in my travels through west Africa. A wishbone around her neck to carry her hopes and to bring luck and good fortune. From a pot of chicken soup made with care and love, the prized wish bone is unhidden and becomes an amulet for the doll gliding on light."

No comments: