"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Sunday, June 19, 2011

leslie mark


There is little I can add to Leslie's description of her doll and the inspiration behind it, except to say that she has been a loyal friend to Change the Truth (from the very beginning). This doll is magnificent. It's poignant and powerful and has oh so much to say about our connection to the children in Uganda... and, in fact, about the children themselves.

The tags that hang from the branches each contain a few lines from the psalm. They are strung with thread, and when the air moves around the doll, they dance a bit. Leslie's is a very hopeful and uplifting piece. It is 46" high, winning the award for tallest doll! It will be included in the live auction Friday night. It currently has a bid of $100.

“I was very moved recently by a radio conversation between Krista Tippett (author of ‘Speaking of Faith’) and Bobby McFerrin. His rephrased translation and musical interpretation of the 23rd Psalm was uplifting. I immediately thought about the children at St. Mary Kevin, strong in their faith, even as their lives have been remade by war, disease and loss of parents.



There is a Jewish saying, ‘Torah is the tree of life to those who embrace it,’ which imagery has always tickled my imagination. And McFerrin’s swapping out of pronouns in his interpretation of the 23rd Psalm tugged at me, perhaps more since my mother passed away. Thus my banana doll is elevated in the beautiful river birch branches, surrounded by flowers and little ‘pearls of wisdom,’ dancing with McFerrin’s music around her, lifted up by the spirit of the psalm.

May we all be so nurtured, loved and inspired.


The 23rd Psalm
interpreted by Bobby McFerrin – ‘Dedicated to my Mother’


The Lord is my shepherd, I have all I need,
She makes me lie down in green meadows,
Beside the still waters, She will lead

She restores my soul, She rights my wrongs,
She leads me in a path of good things,
And fills my heart with songs.

Even though I walk, through a dark and dreary land,
There is nothing that can shake me,
She has said she won’t forsake me, I’m in her hand.

She sets a table before me, in the presence of my foes
She anoints my head with oil, And my cup overflows.

Surely, surely goodness and kindness will follow me,
All the days of my life, And I will live in her house,
Forever, forever and ever.

Glory be to our Mother, and Daughter,
And to the Holy of Holies,
As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be,
World, without end. Amen.”

1 comment:

Claudia Krieger said...

Beautiful! Beautiful! Beautiful!