"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

marie mason


Marie Mason is well known in this part of the country for her paintings of dogs, jazz musicians and assorted other lovelies. She is a down to earth, no nonsense, gentle and funny woman who loves to work in her garden and in her studio (in beautiful Weston, Missouri). She is a dog/cat lover and supporter extraordinaire. I recently commissioned her to paint a portrait of Sam, our almost-17-year old Bichon. It's a wonderful piece!



Marie's doll will be part of the live auction. This is what she wrote about her:

"When I picked up my doll, brought her home and took a look at her, I was truly amazed at her beauty. Some child in another country created a lovely lady out of leaves…this figure was grand without any embellishment! What kind of improvement could be made?

I brought her up to my studio and she just lingered on my drawing table for days! I first envisioned her housed in some kind of porch setting with a soft cloth covering above her so that she would be protected from the elements. I thought of cloth wings, grass fields, and finally just a beautiful day. I wanted to create this beautiful day for her to exist in. Warm, but not hot, with a soft wind blowing and a few clouds for shade. A cloth cloud came to mind, but how would that work over time…. Then I came up with the cloud cape idea.

Last summer a friend’s 10-year-old granddaughter visited my studio. Together we got seriously involved in making paper mache animals. I learned a lot about the new materials that are available…. and so I decided to create a cloud cape and a bonnet to protect this lovely doll from the vicissitudes of a hot or stormy day. She would wear the clouds as a kind of armor and protection from the elements. Even though her feet are on the ground, she will always be protected with her cloud cape and sun hat.

I hope that this doll figure will carry a wish to the orphaned children so far away. May imaginary capes of clouds and bonnets of sun be some kind of protection from hardships."

No comments: