"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Saturday, June 04, 2011

paula shteamer


I’ve known Paula, an interior designer, for a long time. She’s a creative and kind person, with a true understanding of what it means to help others. She’s always been an enthusiastic and energetic supporter of Change the Truth, and I am grateful to her for the joyous way she approaches each project we undertake. She shows up at my doorstep each December with art supplies and games for me to take to the orphanage. She works as a volunteer at our fundraiser each year. She always has great ideas and suggestions for what we might try next or new people who might be interested in learning about us. She has introduced me to several artists who have hopped on board the Doll Project. Once she even went to the trouble of nominating me for a CNN hero award. Now that’s one very nice and supportive friend!

Paula is someone who truly treasures family. You’ll see what I mean when you read what she wrote about her doll, "Shirley Albert” :

“I am delighted to be involved in the second Change the Truth Doll Project. Once again, as was the case last year, the emotions I felt when I looked at my beautiful banana fiber doll, created with pride and love by one of the special children at St. Mary Kevin's, knew no bounds. Just like before, I was at once humbled and inspired. Once again I asked myself how I could possibly improve upon this amazing creation. I stared at her until I found my muse, finally adorning her only with embellishments I felt deserving of her. Two of my favorites of these include the handmade Japanese paper decorating the base (one-half of the proceeds of my purchase will go to earthquake victims in Japan), and the lovely hand-dyed ribbons which have been recycled from old parachute materials. I found it comforting and fitting that these materials, had a meaning in and of themselves, and were therefore perfect for adorning my doll, ‘Shirley Albert’. She has come full-circle in so many regards.



‘Shirley Albert’ is dedicated to my amazing and sweet father, Sherwood Michael, who passed away on February 18, 2011, at the blessed age of 90. My Dad had felt very privileged to attend the very first CTT Fundraiser at The Screenland Theater, and he remained a proud supporter of Change the Truth until his death. He would have loved that my daughter, Caroline Shteamer Bockelman and I are both participating in the CTT Doll Project for the second year. Our continued involvement would have made my father very proud. He will indeed be here in spirit at this year's event. I know he will be smiling proudly as 'Shirley Albert' and Caroline's doll take their places in this year's line-up of loving creations.”

1 comment:

Remi T. said...

Go Paula!