"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

young artist featured in kutuuka: rachael

One of the artists whose work is included in my book is Rachael. Hers is one of the drawings that is available as part of a limited edition set. The children who are represented in the book by their artwork are so excited! They keep thanking me for making them “famous.” I thought it might be nice for you to hear about some of them in their own words.


“Hi. My name is Rachael. I am thirteen years old. When I grow up I’d like to be an accountant. And I like art because art can take you far away. If you’re an artisan you can get money by putting badges on uniforms or designing people’s schools. I like to draw art because if I will not be an accountant, I can be an artisan. I am an orphan. I was young when my father died. Mum Rosemary is the one who cares about me plus the Change the Truth group. I love my talent because God is the one who gave it to me – and it is a part of my life. Always remember this book.”






Rachael's framed drawing is 19" x 25". If you'd like to purchase it, along with a signed and numbered hardbound copy of Kutuuka, you can do so for a donation of $500.00 to Change the Truth. Please contact me if you are interested. Rachael just began her studies in secondary school; your contribution will help Change the Truth fulfill its committment to paying her school fees.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maama Gloria
Good work, for the wonderful impact on the life of African children and FRIENDS .You are really Mother. Thank you CCT FRIENDS.
Peter-Uganda