"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

solo show set for may/june


I'm happy to announce I'm having a one-woman show at The Bohemian Gallery in Kansas City! The dates of the exhibition are May 10 - June 14.

I'm determined to make this show little different from past exhibitions and to find a way to show my work from a new vantage point. This will involve unearthing some older work I have not shown, pairing works in unusual ways and best of all, getting assistance from a very amazing and awesome friend and curator: Jane Aspinwall.

I've spent the past few days sifting through older work and putting things up where I can see them juxtaposed with one another. (This even includes my childhood photos and my recent drawings.) It's really interesting to see the dialogues that start to take place between images; I'm discovering connections I never knew existed before.

Here is an example of what I mean:


Croquet Mallets, circa 1963

Carrie and Angie, 2005


 Here's another:


Richard, 2010

Head and Hand, 2013

The Bohemian Gallery is a beautiful new space that will give me lots of room with which to work. While it is always a huge ordeal to assemble an exhibition, I am truly looking forward to this chance to share so much work at once. It should give Jane and me plenty of opportunities to be creative with the selection of images and with the installation.

Much more to come!


No comments: