"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Wednesday, January 09, 2013

a new tradition is born with team 6


I just received this post from Team 6 leader Suzanne. I am grinning ear to ear this morning; I don't think I've ever seen such joy on the faces of the kids at St. Mary Kevin Orphanage! Suzanne's photos are awesome and amazing.

"What do you get when you mix the following:

Mangos
Rope
Pillowcases (2)
Bandanas (2)
Balloons (many)
Whistles (2)
Kiddos (many)
Sense of adventure and fun
Wild laughter and jumps of joy
Screams and screeches of pure fun
And a competitive spirit?

You get a new  tradition... Spirit Day at SMK!  On three sunny, hot Ugandan afternoons we gathered as a team and rounded up the troops to have what was a High School tradition for me growing up - Spirit Day. A day of fun and games for all.  Laughter erupted, cheers encouraged winning teams to the finish line, and a spirit of joy filled the grounds of SMK.  We played pass the mango under your neck, limbo, wheel-barrow and potato sack races and a kiddo favorite, the water balloon toss. The matrons howled with laughter. At the end of the day tootsie roll pops were had by all, and there were prizes for the winning teams 

The pictures say it best. Team 7: get ready to have some fun with the new SMK Spirit Day tradition next December."





































4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Spirit Day! What a fantastic idea! Love the pix. Marti

Christina said...

What amazing smiles!!!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic! These pictures really made my day.
- Susan

Anonymous said...


I can only mimic Gloria in that these pictures and this post made me grin ear to ear. I remember myself and what fun it was running sack races. Thank you so much team six for beginning the tradition of spirit day! Like us, the kids will never forget this. CJ