"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Thursday, January 03, 2013

new pastel

Once or twice a week I have the great pleasure of hanging out in my studio with my good friend Gail. She and I bring a bottle of wine, some good music and our art supplies. We lay out our paper and pastels and, in the blink of an eye, three or fours hours have zoomed by. We chat. But sometimes we don't. We look at what the other is working on and give input. But sometimes we don't. We just enjoy each other's company and the satisfaction that comes with doing something we truly love.

It makes me think this is what a quilting bee or a sewing group might be like... with a few more women gathered round the table. In fact, we'd love to have a couple more women join us. There are four chairs at my table, after all.

Last night I felt I needed some inspiration to get me going in a slightly different direction. I selected a Matt Mahurin photograph, and that's what got me here.





No comments: