"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Thursday, September 03, 2015

day one

Here are some snapshots from my first day in Uganda. It was a rainy one, but that didn't stop us from having fun. Natalie took a group of Senior 2 sponsored students on a well-planned field trip into Kampala to pick up the Africa-pads (so many of you generously contributed to this project, and we thank you!). They also toured some small independent businesses - one a locally sourced weaving operation, another a glass company that recycles glass to make beautiful, new products. Natalie said the girls were fascinated and interested. They were also fascinated and interested in an escalator (first time seeing and riding one).

The downpour made for great puddles to play in. And I brought out the whiffle bats and balls and demonstrated the proper batting stance; it took no time at all before it was clear that there is a lot of raw, natural talent amongst our kids. More on that to follow. I'm hoping to set up a tournament (yes, I am competitive).

The kids seem to be doing so well! It's always so great to be reunited with them. Lots of hugs today.

Tomorrow is my birthday celebration. Tents have been erected. The kids have been rehearsing. I think it's going to be kind of a big deal. I'm excited!


Oliva

Wasswa Henry




Jennifer and Diana


Tina, Beatrice, Irene, Lillian and Natalie


Jennifer, Diana and me


Jeremiah



3 comments:

Christy said...

Sending loving (((hugs))) to all!
Christy

Unknown said...

I love watching you and Natalie!
Louanne

LDMark said...

I love the picture of Diana and Jennifer running away from the camera in the rain!
Happy Days, Gloria!