"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Saturday, December 25, 2010

team 4: jennifer


"Pure. Simple. Joy.

It hit me. In the solitude of walking a short distance from Melissa’s house to the entrance of Saint Mary Kevin it hit me. Joy. Joy shining from some place I didn’t even know existed. Joy from the heavens. Joy from the red muddy soil. Joy from Shine’s eyes as she sang a new song from heart for the first time. Joy from Fiona’s contemplation writing a pen pal letter to a student in Overland Park, Kansas, whose life is a world away and yet whose hopes and dreams are close to the heart. Joy for Douglas being so patient teaching me drumming rhythms. Joy of receiving a tiny note of words and pictures from Sharon as she slipped it into my hand, gave me a quick squeeze, and ran away. True, pure, simple, awakened joy. It didn’t matter how much I tried to prepare my heart for this experience. The joy is truly overwhelming. It emanates from every held hand, every smile, and even every shared tear. The stories of these children are too much for anyone to bear, but their Joy is a gift for all. I am so grateful to have been given the opportunity for their Joy to hit me." - Jennifer

No comments: