"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Monday, December 06, 2010

isaac + joseph = awesome

My friend Stacie and her partner have two sons who are simply awesome. Isaac and Joseph took it upon themselves to do something helpful for the kids at St. Mary Kevin. Please read the following letter from Stacie. It explains how all the awesomeness unfolded:

“One day when we were laying in bed snuggling or tickling or playing imagination (3 of my 6 year old son's favorite activities), Isaac rolled over and noticed the painting we have hanging on our bedroom wall (as if for the first time). It is one I purchased last summer at the annual Change the Truth Friendraiser/Fundraiser. He asked me who painted it because he could tell it was painted by a child, but it wasn't his work. I explained it had been painted by a young man who is an orphan living in Uganda. I asked if he'd like to see a video about the orphanage and about my friend, Gloria, who is working to help the kids who live there. Of course he said yes (any sentence with the word video in it is going to get his attention). As we watched the video, his older brother (Joseph, 10) came in to join us. I stopped the video as it went along explaining things like 'rebel atrocities', HIV/AIDS, and orphan. They were both definitely moved by the video. Isaac was tearing up and immediately began pacing and planning. He wanted to do something to help out. Joseph was already making a list of things we could do to help. I read them the recent newsletter from Gloria that included the wish list for this year's trip to Uganda. The boys quickly decided baseball caps, stocking caps and decks of cards were the things to collect. They helped draft a letter to send home with their classmates and both of them did presentations for their classes to explain about the orphanage and about Change the Truth.

It isn't the first time they have done some kind of service project, but I must say it's the most dedicated they have been to something like this. It's also been driven by them, entirely. They were really affected by seeing the difference in what they have and take for granted and what the kids from St. Mary Kevin have. I feel incredibly lucky to know Gloria and to know that this direct bit of action is going to have a lasting affect on a group of people--including my own children. I can't think of a better way to teach my children about giving back to others and building a bridge all the way across the world with kids their age. They can see the impact they will have---that's pretty amazing.”

Yesterday the boys delivered the goodies they had collected. They and their moms drove all the way from Columbia, Missouri to make the delivery.

Isaac and Joseph: You are mensches. Please look up the word. And please know that the world needs more kids like you.

I made a little video to share.

1 comment:

Max F. said...

pretty awesome indeed. thanks for sharing!