"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

can an old dog learn new tricks?

That's what I'm trying to do in this workshop. I'm shooting digital rather than film, rectangular rather than square and I am living totally out of my comfort zone. Thatcher is encouraging me to loosen up, use not quite so much control around the edges of the frame and finally break out of the frame. He's also challenged me to make pictures of people not looking directly in to the camera. Then there's the whole digital flow process, which is difficult for "the adult learner" that I am. It's exhilarating!

The power's been out all afternoon, so I couldn't work on this post when I had planned. Instead I went to the boxing gym to take pictures. Oh my god, it was so cool... dark black faces glistening with sweat, feet shuffling across the floor, the afternoon light streaming in through dirty, broken panes of glass, gritty gloves and laces... I loved it. Of course, I was itching to climb into the ring.

Okay, I was going to post a bunch of photos, but for some reason, it is not working. Sorry...

The people of Kampala are so friendly, and the city is set on seven hills, making it quite spectacular from a distance. Up close, though, it's pretty gritty, with knots of traffic, air heavy with fumes, people and makeshift markets everywhere, people sitting in the dirt or lying on the sidewalk, adults and children alike pleading for handouts, a million mini bus taxis with so many arms and heads hanging out the windows. It's hot, but when it rains, things cool off quite a bit. There is a constant symphony of horns honking, people calling out, occasional singing from nearby churches, etc. It's quite a treat for the senses.

We've been eating well. The hotel provides a good buffet breakfast, which we eat each morning out on the terrace, usually discussing what we each have planned to shoot for the day. Lunch for me has usually been a PB&J sandwich, thanks to the recommendation from Bobbie that I bring a jar of peanut butter! I get two pieces of "brown bread" and a little bit of strawberry marmalade from the very nice folks in the restaurant, and I'm good to go. We've found some delicious Indian food around town for dinner. Last night I had pasta with pesto at an Italian place, and even though it didn't compare to Eddie's, it was quite good. So far no one has gotten acquainted with the revenge of Montezuma, and we're very happy about that.

Anna (who reminds me so much of Abbie) left today to do a story with the Jane Goodall Foundation on chimp orphans. It's so fascinating to see the variety of project ideas people came to the workshop with.

Oh, I forgot to report yesterday that when I was at the school, the cow gave birth! It was so exciting, not only because it happened during the daytime, and everyone got to gather around to see, but this means that the children will now have MILK in their porridge instead of just water. It was quite a celebration! Someone had recently donated the cow, so she is a new addition to the family, as is the prospect of milk.

I'll sign off now and will try again with photos later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

To Gloria.....loved that the cow gave birth and that the children will have milk to drink. What a great gift to give to this community. Thank you for your ability to move through all your experiences and then express them in writing and pictures.
Your Passport Health nurse, Betts Rawalt