"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Friday, November 10, 2006

buyingi photos

We traveled to the district of Rakai, leaving shortly after Thatcher had received word that an outbreak of Cholera had just been detected there. Rakai district (there are 56 districts in Uganda) is in the southwest part of the country and has the unfortunate distinction of being the epicenter of the AIDS epidemic. Apparently, truckers would cross its borders and pay very little money - I heard as little as the equivalent of 25 cents - to have sex with very young girls and prostitutes, and they spread the disease in a big way throughout Uganda and further. AIDS has absolutely destroyed the families in this area.

As you know I spent several days with Margaret and her family in the small and very remote village of Buyingi. I sat with them in their hut on the dirt floor (they always were quick to spread out a mat for me) followed the kids to the water hole to collect water from a small, muddy, filthy pond into dirty jugs, watched them get so excited playing with the brightly colored plastic balls, bubbles and glass marbles I brought along, sat with Margaret as she made the fire to cook dinner, dig in her garden for sweet potatoes, met their friends and neighbors, etc. It was truly a remarkable experience. Here are some of the pictures I made during that time. A lot was lost, but I am pleased with the ones I do have.



Did I tell you that one of Margaret's granddaughters is called Gloria? As you can imagine, we had a very special bond right away. Gloria is on the far right in this picture of Margaret, her family, and me.































Tomorrow's installment: pictures I made at the boxing gym in Kampala.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Gloria
I've been checking the blog daily. Today was so well worth it. I love the photographs you last posted of the village and the people. Keep it coming. Hope you are catching up on your rest and feeling better. bonnie