"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Saturday, November 11, 2006

boxing gym photos

I don't know how Thatcher found this place, but it is marked only by a bright blue door and several broken windows in a seedy part of Kampala. He thought it would be a good place for me to stretch myself photographically. It's not often that I take pictures of people moving about quickly in a dimly lit room. The one recommendation Thatcher gave me was to go late in the afternoon, when the sun was low in the sky and streaming in through the windows of the gym in a lovely kind of way.

The boxers were dark and fit and glistening with sweat. The light, as it moved across their faces and bodies was magical. I was in heaven.


















I will tell you that re-entry is hard.

Tomorrow I'll share some pictures from the orphanage, the sights and sounds of which will not leave me alone.

No comments: