"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Friday, June 29, 2012

it's all about the kids

During the yearly cycle of running my non-profit, Change the Truth, there are two days that rise above all the rest: the day my volunteer team leaves for Uganda and the day of our annual friendraiser/fundraiser.

I was awakened way too early this morning when a swarm of bumble bees starting buzzing around and dive bombing in my stomach. Today is the big day: our 5th annual event to raise awareness of and funds for the 180 children who live at St. Mary Kevin Orphanage Motherhood in Kajjansi Uganda. This day has required a lot of preparation on the part of a lot of people. There have been donations of time, talent, money and products. I am always amazed and humbled by the outpouring of love toward these beautiful, hard working and deserving Ugandan children - children who have lost one or both parents to war or disease. I am so fortunate to be involved in such a love-fest. It restores my faith in humankind.

When it comes right down to it, these important days in the life of Change the Truth are really all about the children - the loving, hopeful, inspiring young people who live at the orphanage. They stole my heart six years ago and never quite remembered to give it back. I dedicate today, all the other important days and even the days when nothing too special happens - to them. 

Here are some portraits I made at the orphanage in 2009.

Caleb

Billy

Claire Faith

Willy

Tony


Godfrey

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just saw you in lens blog. Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!
Eileen