"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Monday, December 31, 2007

sam


Here’s the newest member of our family, though it seems as if we have always known and loved him. In this family of ours, we have Sam-dog, Sam-friend, Sam cousin and, as of two years ago, Sam-husband. He and Abs were wed in a self-officiated ceremony in our front yard.

I used to be the master of Scrabble in the family. No longer. Also of Boggle. Also no more. But it’s OK. This type of challenge will keep me on my toes for many years to come. No senility allowed.

Sam introduced me to the music of Martin Sexton and also to the fact that a good gumbo starts with a good roux.

Sam writes really good songs and sings them well, too. When you have a few quiet moments, treat yourself to a couple of tunes by going to the Sam and Abbie song website. (“Freedom Now” and “The Pirate Song” are especially nice.)

Oh, yes, I also used to think I was pretty good at the Puzzler on NPR on Sunday mornings. You should be in the room when Sam’s brain shifts into gear, and he calls out the answers in the blink of an eye. Oh, and he's also a good dancer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I love Sam and Abbie's music. They are awesome together. Thanks for sharing.