"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

next to last day

Today has been a day full of tears for me. And I know I was not the only one with moist eyes and cheeks.

Opio Nicholas showed up this morning. He has quickly become the star student in the art room. This eleven-year old boy has a natural talent that is impressive to say the least. Besides that, he is one of the sweetest, smartest and most soulful young person I have ever met. He stole my heart last year; now there is even a stronger affection on my part for him.


Each of us has a special someone with whom we have made a real and loving connection. At dinner tonight, we went around the table and confessed who it was (most had two or three kiddos on their list) that had etched their way into our hearts. It will be hard to say goodbye tomorrow.

The children performed song, dance and drumming before we left the orphanage this afternoon. Tears were flowing from their eyes, as well. It will be hard to say goodbye tomorrow.

You won’t believe how wonderful the artwork is! When Rose Mary came into the art room today to see everything taped up on the walls, she said, “I didn’t know the children could do this.” One teacher who enjoys painting has been attending the art classes and after we are gone will make good use of the left over supplies we will leave behind by providing time for the kids to draw and paint.

So… the work will continue.

Ann and Melissa have made amazing progress with the children who had been selected for therapy. And the good news is that there are volunteer social workers who come to SMK twice a week, and they have observed the work that these very talented Operation Breakthrough therapists have been doing.

So… the work will continue.

I still need to tell you about the IDP camp we visited in Gulu. I will save that for later, but I am happy to report that we were able to locate Sandee and Lillian’s mother. Carol, Lynne and I have never seen anything even close to what we saw there. The living conditions are horrible, the children suffer from malnutrition, and the outlook for these displaced people appears to be dim. It was a sobering experience to be there.

The Internet connection tonight is painfully slow, but I will try to post some photos. Much love to all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Safe travels and much love to all of you!

Aunt Andie said...

On this last night of Hanukkah I am sitting in the comfort of my warm home and wondering what to give my dear friend Lynne as a gift this year, when I realized the perfect gift. I have just gone on the Change the Truth web site and donated to feed one child for a year. I am inspired by all of you and sending you best wishes for a safe journey home. xoxo Andie