"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Saturday, October 14, 2006

seniors, seniors everywhere

Now that I am back in Kansas City, I have a lot of work to complete before I board my plane on Wednesday. First and foremost - finish the senior pictures! It is always fun to do these each year, but especially this time around, because this is Max's class. I have known most of these kids since they were in kindergarten, a couple since the day they were born, so it is great fun for me to photograph the young men and women they have become. Here is the portrait I made of Max. This is when he is happiest - seated on the throne behind his set of Pearl drums.

My e-mail account has been buzzing, as I begin to hear from other students in the class, our instructor, as well as the people I'll be meeting and working with at the orphanage. Several other students will be on my flight from London, so we are planning to meet at Heathrow and then ride into Kampala together from Entebbe. Everyone has such interesting projects in mind, and all of us are eager to get started.

I have made contact with someone who is trying to arrange a gorilla trek for me! I'll have three days after the workshop ends, and I have been told not to miss this experience if I can help it. I'll know in a couple of days if I am able to secure a permit to get into Bwindi Impenetrable National Park, home to several hundred gorillas. Only a certain number of permits are granted for each day. Will keep you posted

No comments: