"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

born into brothels

I have been a huge fan of Wendy Ewald's work for many, many years. The photographs she has inspired children to make (especially the work in "Portraits and Dreams: Photographs and Stories by Children of Appalachians") has been an important factor in helping me find my way to teach children to make their own pictures. I did this as a graduate student at the University of Wisconsin with Native American children, later with my own two children, and much more recently at "Operation Breakthrough", a day care provider for the children of Missouri's working poor. These projects have fueled my thoughts about undertaking a similar (though, obviously, much more brief) activity with some of the children at the orphanage in Uganda.

Many people have told me I should see the movie "Born into Brothels." I just finished watching it, at long last. It has brought me to my knees. I only wish I could accomplish a fraction of what Zana Briski has done with these Indian children, all of whom are children of sex workers in Calcutta. It is truly wonderful, amd I urge each of you to rent it and watch it.

I feel even more inspired now and am so looking forward to the opportunity that awaits me. Perhaps it will be the beginning of a new chapter in my career as a photographer.

No comments: