"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Sunday, October 22, 2006

kampala

There is a cool breeze on my face as I sit by the pool at the Mosa Courts enjoying a glass of white wine. I got in a nap this afternoon, so I'm feeling pretty good now as evening falls around me. Shortly I'll be meeting the others in the group for our orientation, then dinner.

I walked into the heart of the city today to Kampala Road, the main thoroughfare. The city is teeming with people, in spite of the fact that this is Saturday. For long stretches during my trek, I was the only white face in a sea of black, brown, copper, and earth toned ones. The streets are filled with beggars, vendors, very small children all alone sprawled barefoot on street corners as if they are waiting for someone to come back and get them, soldiers with rifles perched on their shoulders, people on cell phones, dilapidated mini busses crammed with way too many passengers, motorcycles, and the constant honking and beeping of wild, unrestrained and seemingly uncontrolled traffic. I gave my two "mitzvah dollars" (good luck for travel - one from Eddie, one from a client who also happens to be a Rabbi) to a very young girl who was sitting on the sidewalk in the shade of a telephone booth with her very young baby. Her hand was not out, so I caught her by surprise. Her young/old eyes pierced mine as she stood to graciously accept my very small gift. I glanced down at her baby, and then the girl, a teenager, and I smiled in mutual understanding of the beauty and innocence of the baby. I received a warm smile and a "thank you very much" and then I moved on. I'm afraid it will be hard to move on each time I have an encounter like that. At least, I hope it does not get easy.

I think over the course of the next couple of weeks that my heart will be broken a hundred times.

Tonight we will get to know our fellow students a bit and get a sense from our fearless leader, Thatcher, of what lies ahead.

No comments: