"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

my friends are the coolest

Thanks to my friends, I have a stash of cash to take to the orphanage! Michael will take me on a book-buying spree, and the children will be thrilled. You guys are the best.

The malaria medication is running through my blood stream now, and I am ready to get on that plane tomorrow night. Seems like I’ve been talking about this trip long enough – time to go!! My suitcase is bulging, my heart is pounding with excitement, and my fingers are itching to start shooting.

I wasn’t able to get my hands on any used, cheap digital point & shoot cameras, but I loaded up on disposables during my trip to Costco this morning. I can’t wait to hand these out to the children and then see what they come up with once they are turned loose in their world with these little green plastic “memory keepers.”

It turns out that due to a late cancellation, there is a last minute entry in the class – and she is someone I know! Leslie was the assistant instructor at the Photoshop course I took in Santa Fe a couple of years ago. It will be great to see a familiar face in the crowd of dazed and jetlagged photographers!

Hope the Internet system in Kampala will cooperate with me once I’m settled in so that my next post will be from Africa. Until then… cheers!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

gb,

we will miss you.

Anonymous said...

Stay healthy and well during your journey.
Your "immunization" nurse.
Betts