"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Sunday, January 16, 2011

team 4: bobbi




The following entry from Bobbi made its way to my inbox the other day. It's beautiful and very thoughtful.

"I’ve been home for almost two weeks, and my heart is still full and my thoughts continue to wander back to Uganda and the children. Each year I miss them, and each year I see them grow and gain confidence and develop purpose for their lives. And each year we see what living in an orphanage means, and the courage and strength it takes to get through each day…And this year it became clear, at a much deeper level, the impact that Change the Truth has had on these children’s lives. I watched Gloria deal with really hard issues, and saw the deep commitment she has to each child….their health, welfare, education and to them knowing how loved they are. Speaking of love, team 4 was amazing. Each member of our team gave it their all, and I know each of them would say they received so much more.


I taught Yoga to the kids last year, and this year saw the seeds that were planted bear lots of fruit. Samuel, Yaweh, and Rosette became the teachers throughout the year. Yaweh and Sam teach yoga each morning to a group of kids. They told me that before they do yoga, they go for a walk/run because it helps them with their practice. The kids are good little yogis. 6 yr. olds are in the classes right along with the 12 and 14 yr. olds. Sometimes they have to share mats, and they just naturally do that. They’re used to sharing. Rosette is in high school, and teaches at her school. They had no mats, so they just did it on the floor…can you see us doing yoga on cement floors? I think not! It’s called commitment and non-attachment. Whatever it takes! That’s true for all the kids…whatever it takes. The kids learned more about breathing and meditation this year, and I find that they grasp what they’re taught in a heartbeat. Yaweh (Joseph) told me that since doing yoga, he can never be mean to anyone again. He got it quicker than I did. Pretty amazing.




The Yoga gifts the kids got this year were really great. Suzanne had shirts made for the yoga kids that said in very cool lettering 'NAMASTE.' They LOVED them. I had shirts made for the 'teachers' with their picture on the front, and yoga teacher on the back. Very smart. Avis MADE large bookmarks that said Namaste on one side and Breathe on the other….in blues and yellows. She also made something similar for the Karate kids. They were all great.


This is my 3rd year as a CTT team member. If whoever is reading this is a supporter in whatever way of CTT, your support has changed many lives. They know that you care and that makes all the difference." - Bobbi

No comments: