"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

cake!

After reading a wonderful article by Kate Fridkis in the Huffington Post recently, I found my way to her blog, Eat the Damn Cake. Fridkis tackles issues concerning women and body image with poignancy, insight, quirkiness and humor. I have become a huge fan of her work. (She also writes a blog about home schooling and continues to write about various topics for HP.) At any rate, I emailed her to tell her I was captivated, and that I would love to collaborate with her by doing some photos. She was generous in her quick response, willing to give me a chance to do some visuals for use somewhere on the blog.

We decided to start with, what else? Pictures of girls and women eating the damn cake!

I put out a call on my facebook page. Within hours I was busy running back and forth to the bakery counter at my neighborhood grocery store, fielding emails and calls from hungry friends and hungry friends of those friends. Well, hungry is probably not an accurate word to use in this case - more like sweet-toothed and slightly crazed and irreverent.

The weekend turned out to be a total blast, needless to say. I am still finding icing in the crevices of my camera and crumbs on the studio floor. I have wonderful gal pals, and I thank them for volunteering to shove cake in their mouths for me.

I ended up doing 20 pictures in all. I have sent them to Kate and am eager to hear what she has to say. In the meantime, here's the first half of the eat the damn cake photos. I'll post the rest tomorrow. Don't you just want to run out and grab a slice?



















3 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are so fun and really beautiful! Wish I lived in Kansas City. I would have come over for cake for sure.
-Susan

Anonymous said...

LOVE THESE!

suzgarr said...

love them all, but especially the funny ones and the last one of the child, sweet!