"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Wednesday, January 05, 2011

team 4: avis


One of the most rewarding aspects of leading trips to the orphanage each December is seeing the profound impact the children have on each and every team member. Volunteers' lives are changed by these journeys, even though our visits are relatively brief.

The following blog post was emailed to me by Avis after she had failed to get to work on time yesterday. The preface brought a huge smile to my face:

"Gloria,

I got in my car yesterday, headed for work, thinking about Evalyn and her story, and realized my car had driven almost 20 miles north of my exit, headed straight to the airport instead of the office in Kansas City, Kansas. My heart is still in Uganda.

I already miss you and the kids and Mel and the red dirt and the pot-holed roads and the roosters and the steamed matoke and the exhaust fumes (well, maybe not the exhaust fumes).... it is weird to be back in this other life... to have feet in two worlds... still processing... "

Here is the lovely bit of writing Avis wanted to share:

“My luggage is now empty, but my head is still packed full of children’s stories.

Stories about the past. About the civil war that raged in northern Uganda. About the rebels who came to Gulu and Lira and killed parents and burned villages. Stories about loved ones who died of cholera or AIDS. Stories about roads in the west that are still filled with landmines. Stories of loss and pain and despair.

Stories about the present. About loving, loving, loving SMK. Stories about food and new mattresses and mosquito nets and safety. Stories about school and the marching band, drumming and painting and singing and dancing. Stories about CTT and Mama Gloria. Stories about learning and growing and changing.

Stories about the future. About becoming doctors and nurses, secretaries and teachers, artists and computer technicians. Stories about becoming an airplane pilot who flies a helicopter to America!

Stories that humble me and haunt me. Stories I wish were not true, and stories I desperately hope become reality.

Stories told by children with names and faces that are now as real to me as the two children I birthed. Stories full of hopes and dreams and possibility. What will become of these children whose stories have changed my life? I can hardly wait to see what comes next!” - Avis

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Avis - this is one of the most beautiful accounts of a visit to SMK and the wonderful children who call this place home. They are so lucky to have met you. They are so fortunate to be the beneficiaries of Mama Gloria and CTT. Talk about change you can believe in. Wow!

-rm