"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Monday, June 21, 2010

sher pierson

SP32

"My art is a reflection of my personal experiences and explorations. My intention is to make work that is soul searching and honest, even in its mystery. The pieces are intended to speak with truths that are strong and adamant, but are not necessarily intended to tell a story. Some of the themes are born out of compassion for the dilemmas I see other people, especially women, stumbling through. In my paintings and sculpture, as in life, there are some unpleasant themes that are dressed up in pretty pictures and surfaces. Much of my work is about that - about the masks or 'faces' we put on for those around us. The inner nature that we hide, even from ourselves, and the joy and freedom we can find in the revelation of the truth.

One of the most important aspects of the process of making my work is the influence of poetry. I am in no way a writer myself, but I am obsessed with the written word. Although I read novels voraciously, it is poetry that especially moves me. I read a poem and it 'roosts' in my head and will not let go. This obsession leads to a painting or sculpture, and once that poem is purged, the next one enters, and so on. I am often compelled to integrate these poems into my compositions. As an added benefit, perhaps a few more people will be exposed to this beautiful form of expression.


The physical act of making art is cathartic for me.... I am gently exposing a theme as the painting or sculpture progresses. It may be about yearning or mystery or sexuality or pain or injustice of some sort, and it may be communicated in the layers of glazing or 'aging' that go into the surface. No face or element is left pure and clean, they always have a patina - that is, they are disguised, distressed, or diffused in some way. It is that patina that makes the piece a real and breathing thing to me, as I've found there are few people on earth without their own patinas. That may be why I am so drawn to objects that are old and show their age. I like the mystery of their history, and of giving discarded things a new life.... and ultimately - in transforming them into a lasting piece of art."

No comments: