"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

make the world a better place

A young man named JJ has made the admirable decision to do what he can to help kids his own age who happen to have been born into situations wildly different from his own. This is the email he sent to me in which he describes the goals he has set for himself surrounding his upcoming Bar Mitzvah.

“I am a 7th grade boy and will become a bar mitzvah this summer. One of the commitments to becoming a bar mitzvah is to make the world a better place. I learned about change the truth.org from an article in the newspaper. I read it and knew that I wanted to help fix this problem, that there are millions of parentless kids that can't even afford to go to school in Uganda. If these kids do not have the opportunity to go to school, they are condemned to a horrible life.

It only costs $285 (about the cost of an ipod) to send one high school orphan in Uganda to one year of school. My goal is to send 10 kids to school for a year. To raise this money, I have planned to work various jobs and will donate my earnings for scholarships for these kids. I will also be asking for donations from friends and family by writing them a letter about this situation.”

You go, JJ!

No comments: