"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

aeon

In the summer of 1999, I took a workshop in Santa Fe with Andrea Modica. One afternoon we were supposed to wander around town making photographs, which Andrea would later critique. I made my way to Las Vegas, New Mexico to see what I could find there and to avoid the crowds and clichés of Santa Fe. What I found was a natural hot spring just northwest of town. I hung around for a while, dangling my feet in the soothing water, and just as I was about to leave, a family of four arrived, removed their clothes and slid in. Turned out, the oldest son, who was around seven or eight, was very open to having me make pictures of him. With the permission of his mom, I set about getting to know Aeon with my camera. He was a willing subject, and truthfully, we became collaborators.

1999
1999
1999

Aeon is a wonderfully androgynous, fair skinned boy with a fierce imagination and a sense of adventure and drama. He has the intensity of someone much older and wiser. Before I knew what hit me that day, I was treated to a surreal encounter with a family that seemed to walk right out of the 60’s. Each was comfortable in his/her own skin, curious about the world, earthy, creative, trusting and loving. It was as if I was watching a movie, but really they drew me into their world in a welcoming way and let me be part of their little family outing that afternoon.

We exchanged addresses before parting. I would send them copies of some of the pictures I had made, and we promised to meet again one of these days.

In the winter of 2000 and again in the summer of 2001, I wound my way to their cabin in the woods just outside of Taos. Aeon’s mom said hello on my first visit by bestowing upon me a gorgeous poncho she had woven. Aeon and his younger brother donned capes and swords, then took me on a tour of their magical, wondrous playground that was thick overgrown woods, ponds, water snakes, a tree house, birds, burrs, and various little wild animals scurrying about.

2000
2001
2001


Aeon and I traded letters and drawings. I sent him some of Max’s old Pokemon cards. I made sure he got copies of all the best pictures we made together. I sent him exhibition announcements which featured photos of him and clippings from magazines in which his pictures appeared. His Mom told me he felt so famous.

I met up again with the family in 2004 at Ghost Ranch in Abiquiu. Aeon’s mom told me he was looking forward to making more pictures, so that’s what we did. Even on the verge of puberty, he was comfortable and confident, while still maintaining his sense of wonder and innocence.

2004
2004
2004

It is time to find them again. I tried unsuccessfully to contact Aeon’s mom last month before I left for Santa Fe. I remember talk about some land they had in Colorado. This summer I plan to dig a little deeper and see if I can discover where they are, so I can continue my journey of photographing Aeon.

2004
2004

No comments: