"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

team 4: suzanne

Suzanne and Patiency

"You can’t imagine the feeling of being hugged by a total stranger and yet knowing that you are loved for just being you and being there. That is what I have felt everyday at SMK. I wake with the sound of the rooster at a nearby farm and I end my day telling stories of the children that have touched my soul. There is Patiency who holds my hand and Diana who runs and hugs my legs and Rosetta who has taught me how to make the banana dolls (she tells me kindly that I am a fast learner like Eddie, but the legs on my doll are skinny) and so many more. I had followed Team 3 last year and tried to imagine what it would be like in December when I would journey to Uganda, but nothing compares to the warmth and gratitude that I have felt since being at SMK. There is a boy, Reinhardt that has been writing and sharing his stories in a journal that I brought and everyday he asks if he can write a story. There are so many stories here and all of them special and unique. We have done yoga, we have replaced mattresses and made art, we have skipped rope and carried jugs of water to the showers, but most importantly we have held hands, we have hugged, we have been welcomed and wished a good night, we have shared so much in just three days. I can’t wait for more days to come and stories to be shared and moments to be forever sketched in my memory. One can never have enough hugs, the ones that truly hug your soul." Suzanne

3 comments:

Christy said...

You are so right, Suzanne! Your words beautifully describe the pure feeling of being loved at SMK. It sounds like you have done so many wonderful things with the children and they hold your hand and give you right back the most important lesson of your trip! Look forward to following your journey and posts!

Much love,

Christy
Team 3

Anonymous said...

Hi Suzanne,
Glad you and the others made it safely - have been worried about you all missing days with the children. You are in my thoughts and I am so happy that you are doing what you are doing. You know that I would love to be there with you - I am in spirit. Give the kids a big hug from me! Love to you!
Carrie Schweikart

Paul Matzner said...

Suzanne,

You are doing what so many of us never do, getting out of our comfort zones and giving love to people of the world. I loved reading your words and seeing pictures of you with the children. It brought tears to my eyes. Merry, Merry, Merry to you and all the others in Team 4.

Warmly,
Paul