"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Friday, December 24, 2010

team 4: david and emily


"Uganda, you complete me (Jerry Mcguire plug)!!!
From the moment I stepped foot into the orphanage, I have felt a sense of peace in my soul. The laughter and smiling faces of the children, the music, the dancing, the sound of the Islamic call to prayer (Adhan), all of this has touched an untapped place in my heart. I have enjoyed detaching myself from the luxuries of America. There is a humility that comes from taking cold showers and using screaming goats and roosters as one's alarm clock. The people of St. Mary Kevin have been so receptive and I feel as if I have known them my entire life. Whether it has been teaching karate, running 3 miles to Lake Victoria and swimming with 60 kids (with crocs and rhinos...just sayin'), or playing futbol (soccer for you uncultured few =) with the big boys, I have enjoyed every moment of this trip. I am thankful to GOD for the experience and there is nothing I would trade for the memories. Webale!!!" - David


"After morning calls by screaming goats and mosquito net avalanches, sewing with boys and girls and seeing how each stitch adds a new piece of pride for each child has healed me in ways I never thought possible. Through hearing a girl last saw her mother on Christmas and a tiny face lighting up as she runs into my arms every time we meet, I have found a new sense of strength in myself. I try to take photos of every new and interesting person I meet and see. But between walking to Lake Victoria, crying at choir performance, watching Philipino soap operas, and teaching 'Jingle Bells' there is too much to process, let alone capture on film. Through my journal and talks with David, I have been able to explore my thoughts and feelings of the days' events, along with recording every moment to share with my friends and family back home. I am so thankful to be here and I would not trade a moment of it, but on this Christmas Eve I find myself extremely home sick for my family traditions and the warmth of my best friend, my mother. The individuals here remind me of her strength and resilience, passion and joy, and her ultimate love for me which I cherish even more now. Without her I would not be here and might not go back. So for her, I will dedicate my Christmas morning hike to watch the sun rise over Uganda, in my love for her so far away and all of the mothers missing their children on this Christmas Day." - Emily

No comments: