"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

bobbi

I’ve been given the privilege of doing therapy with some of these kids. They tell their very tragic stories in a tray filled with moon sand, using little figurines that represent the people, places, and things, animals, etc… of the past. They are very difficult to hear, and I can’t imagine how hard it is for them to tell us what happened to them. We spend time processing the stories, and loving the children. I ask them, then, to do another one that tells the story of their future…their vision of what they want when they grow up. These children do have vision. They want to be doctors, nurses, accountants (lots of accountants), pilots….

I fell in love today. I fall in love each moment with each kid, but one kid got my heart today. His name is Sam. He did a sand tray about his father being killed by the rebels. The rest of his family, and other villagers, ran to an ambulance, which took them to another town. They stayed with his uncle, but there were too many people there. “I was not schooled, and a man came, and said we could go to a place and learn.” So he and his 2 sisters came to St Mary Kevin. He’s 11. He’s beautiful. He wants to be an engineer, doing drawings of airplanes. He wants to live in California. He did that picture in sand, and with some blue sand, he made a swimming pool (took time to make it a perfect rectangle) in the middle of his self designed home. Douglas, a former student there and my assistant (he’s got my heart as well) who has been his math teacher, said he’s his best student. Very smart, very wise, and a very old soul. I know he’ll be an engineer in Cal. And I WILL swim in his pool….I’ve been invited.

No comments: