"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Monday, October 13, 2008

a trojan weekend


A lot of sun, a lot of football, a lot of partying, a lot of Trojan marching band, a walk on the beach, a lot of new friends, a lot of wrapping our arms around our son – what else but Parent’s Weekend in southern California? Eddie and I soaked up every minute of it and had such a good time.


Last year I was struck by how militaristic the whole band scene seemed. This year, I was struck by how much fun the kids have, how dedicated they are… and how absolutely inspiring the seventy-something band director is.


(Dr. Bartner has more stamina and energy than just about every forty and fifty-something I know and can rock out with the best of them)

Max has worked hard to get to this point in his drum-playing career, and his parents are very proud of him. Mostly, though, it’s unbelievably fulfilling for us to be able to watch our child move through such an intensely demanding experience with a grin that just doesn’t seem to disappear. Practically sideburn to sideburn. Pretty much all the time.


And now Abbie and her husband, Sam, will step back into our everyday lives for a while! They have cut their road trip short to come to the swing state of Missouri so that they can work for the Obama campaign.

Eddie and I are indeed happy and fortunate parents!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I cast my vote for your three kids!

...and one of mine walked up behind me just as I was clicking on your blog. There was Max--he won her vote. (hoping not to embarrass)

Looks like you were in quite a Swing State of your own, and the blog was fun reading!

--KB :)