"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Monday, October 27, 2008

change the truth trip: meet max


It has been a great pleasure for me to experience Africa through my mom over the last two years (since her first visit in October of 2006, roughly 500 blog posts ago). I have been privileged enough to see pictures roll off the press, hear stories fresh from excited travelers' mouths, and live part-time at the CTT headquarters in Kansas City. The collection of tales and images that I have witnessed throughout the last couple years makes me feel almost as if I have been to SMK already.

Since I joined the USC Marching Band, the Spirit of Troy-- "the greatest marching band in the history of the universe," I have found endless excitement in drumming with other people. Throughout the course of the Africa trip, I hope to join in drum circles and learn about traditional African drumming. In addition, I'm planning on helping purchase instruments for the SMK marching band (perhaps to become the greatest marching band in the history of Africa?). More than anything, I'm most excited about drumming with the kids at the orphanage as a way to forge a connection through music :)

It seems as though the orphanage has some sort of mysterious magnet that draws visitors back, both physically and emotionally, after their first trip. I have witnessed my mom's experiences in Africa latch themselves to her emotions. I hope that I'll leave Africa with the same enthusiasm that my mom has to come back and do good.

No comments: