"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Saturday, October 25, 2008

new lobby photos for operation breakthrough

One of my greatest joys as a photographer is making pictures of children. At Operation Breakthrough, I need look no further than the end of my lens to be presented with a visual feast of them. A smorgasbord!

My goal at OB is to present the children in an honest way. If a little one is experiencing sadness or fear, or is simply being thoughtful, I will not avoid that child or ask him/her to smile for me. And if there is glee involved, which is usually the case, then I happily capture that, as well.

These photos are among a new suite of pictures that will soon greet people when they walk in to the lobby at 31st and Troost in KCMO.


















The center was founded in 1971 by these two women, Sister Berta and Sister Corita, in response to requests from parents in the central city for quality child care for children of the working poor. The nuns, all these years later, still run the place and can still be found on the floor playing with these adorable children.



No comments: