"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Saturday, September 06, 2008

heroes

I have been named an everyday super hero. The award will be presented to me before 2,000 people at a gathering called “Speaking of Women’s Health” in early October. Yikes.

Although I am thrilled and extremely honored, I can think of many far more qualified people. Right off the top of my head I think of firefighters, search and rescue people and soldiers – people who put themselves in the line of fire in order to serve, protect and often save others. (By the way, my fellow award winner is a firefighter. I don’t know… firefighter, photographer… hmmm… seems like there is something wrong with this picture.) I am far from a super hero. I stole make-up a couple of times at Woolworth’s when I was a teenager; I have sworn in front of my kids; I inhaled; I have told lies; I am often lazy; I get impatient in traffic jams and have been known to yell at other drivers.

After doing some online research, I found these to be the common traits of super heroes:

"Extraordinary powers and abilities, relevant skills, and/or advanced equipment. Although superhero powers vary widely, superhuman strength, the ability to fly, enhanced senses, and the projection of energy bolts are all common. Some superheroes, such as Batman and the Question possess no superhuman powers but have mastered skills such as martial arts and forensic sciences. Many characters supplement their natural powers with a special weapon or device (e.g., Wonder Woman's lasso, Captain America's shield, Spider-Man's webbing, etc.)

A strong moral code, including a willingness to risk one’s own safety in the service of good without expectation of reward.

A motivation, such as a sense of responsibility (e.g. Spider-Man), a formal calling (e.g., Wonder Woman), a personal vendetta against criminals (e.g., Punisher, Batman), or a strong belief in justice and humanitarian service (e.g. Superman).

A secret identity that protects the superhero’s friends and family from becoming targets of his or her enemies, although many superheroes have a confidant (usually a friend or relative who has been sworn to secrecy).

A distinctive costume, often used to conceal the secret identity.

A supporting cast of recurring characters, including the hero's friends, co-workers and/or love interests, who may or may not know of the superhero's secret identity."

Yesterday I sat down in front of lights and a camera at the local public TV station to be interviewed about my super hero award. (I did not like this, was not good at it and feel a bit sick to my stomach each time I think about what I said and what I forgot to say.) My costume consisted of the usual: blue jeans and cowboy boots. No cool weapons or gear, no displays of superhuman strength. Darn. The interviewer was fabulous, though. She had done her homework and asked great questions.

The questions that have stuck in my mind have to do with this whole hero issue. I think it’s worth considering, I realized, who really are our heroes.

She asked who mine are. Immediately, I said, “My parents, my kids, my husband.” (The thing about doing interviews is you don’t really have a lot of time to mull over the questions – what comes out comes out, and you have to then be prepared to back that up.) I was surprised and informed by many of my answers yesterday, but not by that one.

She asked me, “Why them?” I simply said, “Because they hold me up.” (That takes a lot of sacrifice and strength. Maybe not lightening bolts, the ability to fly or to use special weapons, but many, many things of equal importance and coolness.)

Again, I had never really thought about it that way before. Still, I was not surprised by what came out of my mouth.

The more we talked, the more specifically I was able to define my super hero views. The conversation turned to my friend and Holocaust survivor, Bronia.

Bronia’s main goal in life has been to shed any anger, hatred, bitterness or resentment she might have developed after losing her family, being humiliated, deprived, starved, worked to the bone and nearly murdered by the Nazis when she was a young woman. She told me once that she had had no intention of being under further imprisonment once she was liberated. To harbor anger and bitterness would have cast her into a life behind bars. She vowed not to let that happen. Not only did Bronia succeed; she has also managed to teach this lesson to thousands.

Now, that’s a super hero.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Gloria! When do we get to see the interview on television?

The 9/11 destruction has caused people to talk more (or more frequently, or more recently) about what it means to be a hero. Many have said that "merely" to have survived that or to even have died during that experience is not enough to merit Hero Status. The assertion is that those who ran in to save others, who worked against all odds to save others, they were the heroes.

Even if we were to use that more limited definition of Hero as our benchmark (and I'm not saying we should; I'm just reporting), well, then I say, Welcome to Hero Status, my friend Gloria! Because you have rushed in to help, often against all odds, and often during your own health battle, when others have been in need. New Orleans comes to mind. Uganda comes to mind. In many, many other areas of crisis, you have rushed in to photograph and report so that a wider audience will see and know.

I could go on, as can so many others. You said yourself that you are one to get in there and roll up your sleeves. So your Super Hero costume must come with rollable sleeves. The cape may get in the way of your work, but when you wear the cape, wear the cape proudly!! There are many of us cheering you and this recognition that you so absolutely do deserve.

--KB

Anonymous said...

Gloria,
To me, you are indeed a super hero. I don't know all that you've done to earn the title but I know about Sister Mary Kevin's and that's enough for me. God bless you
Connie

Anonymous said...

I think of you and can picture you wearing a cape but your real strength comes from within, none of the accoutrements of a hero are made public, which is the true evidence of a hero. I am so proud of you!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I want to see what colors you come up with for your cape! Your strength and unselfishness are so inspirational; you are so deserving of acknowledgement!

Sondra

Aline said...

You are my hero and I will happily start working on your cape--any special fabric choice?
Congratulations for living a life filled with such meaning and having the ability to touch so many lives.
Wish I could be there to cheer you one, but I will be in spirit!
XO

Anonymous said...

I could not be more happy for you or more proud of you!!! Congrats for being an Everyday Hero!