"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Thursday, September 04, 2008

guest writer

Today is my birthday! I asked my father to be a guest contributor to the blog and share a little bit about about that day I was born.

"Happy Birthday. You asked me to reminisce on this day fifty-four years ago, so here goes. You have always been told that it was a hot day. I will confirm that again. We might have had window fans at home, but the hospital had one window and that was it. I remember it being over 100 degrees every day your mother was in the hospital. Your brother had been delivered 58 minutes after we reached the hospital four years earlier, so your mother was prudent as to not waiting too long. As I remember, we went to the hospital at the first sign that she might be ready, the night of the 3rd.

I was told to go to the waiting room for fathers. The hospital had a special room for waiting fathers with chairs and benches. I remember stretching out on the bench and trying to sleep. At that time members of the family were not allowed in the delivery room. A nurse came for me early in the morning and told me that you had been born. I was so thankful that everything had gone smoothly. Anita had a relatively easy delivery so she was ready to go home.

As opposed to today's hospital customs, at that time women generally stayed in the hospital for six days after giving birth. I took floor fans to her room, but it was so hot that Anita stayed drenched. We campaigned for her early release, and on the third day we were freed.

Most of your mother’s friends used a baby nurse whose name was Manning. When you let Mrs. Manning in the house you had a real tyrant. She really took over. I think we had her for two weeks. I was glad to see her leave, but Anita missed her.

Before we married, Anita and I discussed having four children. She said that she wanted to have four years between the children. You came on schedule, and we were so happy and thankful to have you."

Here is a picture of my parents at my baby naming ceremony. Dad was 33, and my mom was 31.



A friend sent me this poem, along with a a brief intro:

"I hope it won't seem too maudlin for birthday thoughts and thinking, but think of this Clifton poem as a celebration of what we evolve into! Clifton's poem alludes to all we leave, but there is all that we run toward also! (and embrace!)

i am running into a new year
and the old years blow back
like a wind
that i catch in my hair
like strong fingers like
all my old promises and
it will be hard to let go
of what i said to myself
about myself
when i was sixteen and
twentysix and thirtysix
even fortysix but
i am running into a new year
and i beg what i love and
i leave to forgive me

- Lucille Clifton"

4 comments:

Billie Mercer said...

Happy Birthday, Gloria. My, my you are YOUNG. Lots more to enjoy.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Gloria!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Gloria!

A beautiful entry by your dad.

It's been almost 18 years since I've given birth to anybody, but I CAN still remember it and CAN'T imagine going through all that without AIR CONDITIONING!

:)

--KB

P.S. Love that Clifton poem! :)

Anonymous said...

Hope you had a wonderful day of celebration! Loved what your dad wrote. They were a handsome couple.

S.