"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Thursday, September 11, 2008

9-11


This morning Carol and I rode bikes down to the World Trade Center site and then on to Battery Park. It was quiet and peaceful, kind of like being at a giant outdoor memorial service. Lots of news crews, cops and onlookers. But it was serene, and people were respectful and seemingly emotional. There were many folks clutching flowers and flags and pictures to their chests. I approached one woman who was standing by herself, away from the crowd, her eyes fixed on the place where the buildings used to be. She was holding a photograph of her friend Michael who had died there on this day seven years ago. She was also holding a rosary. When I told her I was sorry for her loss, she said, "We all lost something on that day; I am sorry for your loss, as well."

No comments: