"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Friday, September 12, 2008

helen levitt: part one

Helen Levitt’s work has long been an inspiration for me as a photographer.

When I had my gallery I did a show of her work (it was a Levitt/Cartier-Bresson/Waker Evans exhibit that I put together) and brought in an expert on her work to give a lecture. Back in the day, I arranged for a couple of collectors to visit with her when they were in New York. But I never have met her.

I figure now that she is ninety-five years old, I ought to.

So the other day I gave her a call, and she agreed to let me come up. I asked her if she needed anything. “Arnold’s whole wheat bread. If you can’t find that brand, get another. Just no seeds. Make sure it doesn’t have seeds. And I will pay you back for it. No gifts. Come at 1:30.” Her voice on the phone was strong and deliberate. No frills. No wasted words.

It took me a while, but at the third food market I checked out, I found a loaf of “Arnold’s.” I bought some flowers, even though gifts were not acceptable, and I made my way to her walk-up on 12th Avenue.


What will follow in the next few posts will be photos of my afternoon with Helen, as well as thoughts she shared with me. As I told her, of all the photographers whose work I have studied and enjoyed over the years, hers has probably had the most profound impact on me.

No comments: