"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Thursday, April 12, 2007

what a prince


I got to meet Herbie yesterday. This guy has a heart as big as Texas, charm galore, and he’s funny, too. Like stand up comedy funny. I absolutely fell in love with Herbie, the driver.

All that talk about him being ninety-six? Urban legend. Turns out he’s only ninety-two.

He regaled us with stories about Bubbie and talked about his own life. During WWII, he was severely wounded by shrapnel. Two of his buddies were killed during the same attack. After spending six months in the hospital, he vowed to devote his life to doing good things for other people. After listening to his various tales, I think one could safely say he’s accomplished his goal.

Herbie was still telling me jokes and stories as I walked him out to his car. We stood for awhile in the quiet of the thick Florida twilight, and then he turned and blew me a kiss, folded himself slowly into the driver’s seat and then very carefully guided his car down the street.

No comments: