"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Monday, February 05, 2007

letters from edward and vincent

“My name is Edward and I am aged 15 yrs old; I grew up with both my father and mother in Masaka Town, southern Uganda. I have a young brother and little sister. Our parents died of AIDS when I was 12 yrs old. Father died first and Mother followed a few months later.

We had no one to take care of us and this slowed our education. But we were later taken to Kampala and joined a new home where we found other children. It is called St. Mary Kevin Orphanage Motherhood. My brother and sister are still in primary school but I joined secondary school last year and thanks to Uncle Michael, Director, and the people from Change the Truth Fund who are helping with my school fees. I hope to study well and become a doctor. It’s nice that I have friends in such a big country like America and I hope to hear from you.”

*******

“My name is Vincent Emma. I am now 14 yrs old, my parents died of AIDS a few years ago. I went on to live with some relatives but life was difficult and I went to streets. I spent almost one year learning to survive on the streets till I met a kind lady called Madam Angela who took me to a new home. I met other children at St. Mary Kevin Orphanage Motherhood and the director Rosemary. I joined primary school again and thank God I passed my primary leaving examinations. I am now due to join senior two and Madam Gloria and other friends from Change the Truth Fund are organizing to assist me with the school fees.

I am happy that I have a new friend from USA called Lee.”

*******

These are letters I just received from two more of the children from the orphanage who will now be attending school thanks to the generosity of the supporters of the Change the Truth fund. If you are new to the blog, please know that we are accepting donations on an ongoing basis, as there are more school terms, more children to support and much work to be done. If you click on the Donate Now link, you'll see how easy it is to join others who are making the commitment to help these kids. Also, many pen pals relationships have begun! All the names given to me in the first round have been spoken for, but Michael, director of the orhpanage, has assured me that more names are coming. If you - or your children - would like to begin developing a friendship with one of the children at St. Mary Kevin's please email me: gbfeinstein@aol.com. I have a feeling that these relationships will open eyes on both sides of the world.

No comments: