"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Saturday, February 10, 2007

leopold gallery exhibition

Many have asked if I am still represented by Dolphin in Kansas City. Yes. I have been with them for nine years now, and I treasure the wonderful relationship I have with John and Emily. They have been steady supporters of my work and have become good friends, as well. (They recently placed five oversized shredded pieces in the offices of a midtown ad agency, which was exciting for all of us!) Dolphin has always been the gathering place for artists and collectors - in fact, they are the centerpiece of the Crossroads art district. I am honored to be part of the Dolphin family.

Last fall, I was asked by the Leopold Gallery to join its stable. Leopold has been in south Kansas City for fourteen years and has established a solid reputation as a promoter of regional artists. Paul, the director, has an unwavering belief in Midwest talent and has done quite an admirable job of placing work in important corporate and individual collections. I was able to work it out so that my photographs can be shown and sold at both galleries. Dolphin will probably place more emphasis on the older work and on the Shredding Project, while Leopold is very interested in the images from Uganda, as well as from Convergence. It feels like a really nice arrangement.

The Uganda exhibit is set to open on April 27th and will be the first show in Leopold's new space. For those of you who know Kansas City, the gallery will be in what is currently Latin American Imports in Brookside. The opening is going to be a lot of fun. I have asked the adorable and dedicated young African drummers and dancers from Operation Breakthrough to perform a couple of sets during the course of the evening. We will be offering for sale beaded jewelry made by the children at St. Mary Kevin Orphanage Motherhood. We'll be playing the CD of songs the children sang for me when I was at the orphanage. There will be about thirty 13.5" x 19" ink jet prints in the show, as well as three oversized prints - 26" x 39". I just framed one of the latter to 40" x 52" and I have to admit I am blown away by its presence and impact. Twenty percent of all print sales will go directly to the Change the Truth fund. If you are a follower of the blog and are not on my snail mail list, please e-mail me your address so I can make sure you receive an invite to the opening.

What's really exciting for me is not only that I get to show the work and am beginning a relationship with a new gallery, but that I will be bringing together Operation Breakthrough and St. Mary Kevin's on some level... two groups that mean so much to me - that are worlds apart, yet so closely related.

No comments: