"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Friday, February 09, 2007

editing process



I made a few images in Africa that are just now starting to have some meaning for me. It’s funny how that happens - I’ll make a picture before I come to fully understand why. It’s as if part of my brain, the working part, says, here consider this, but the thinking part has to wait a while before trying to understand why.

And so, in the process of selecting work for the April exhibition, I have come to discover an image here and there that was overlooked during the first bazillion edits. Perhaps my mood has shifted, or my perspective, or maybe it’s that my comfort level with the work has broadened. At any rate, there is a certain power in this photograph of a female boxer that I am ready to acknowledge (and appreciate) now.

No comments: