"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Saturday, February 17, 2007

letter from susan

Susan, a filmmaker from Minneapolis, just completed her two-week Maine Photographic Workshop in Uganda. She and I began corresponding via e-mail when I was there in October. We have developed a wonderful friendship during these few months, and she graciously offered to go to the orphanage to shoot some footage for my video presentation. Once she finished her own project on Thursday, she did just that. She made her way to Kajjansi with, not only her video gear, but also baby blankets (that her friends had made) toys and candy! She promised to get some pictures of some of the kids who have become pen pals, as well as those who are benefiting from the Change the Truth school fee grants.

I knew she was trekking to St. Mary Kevin’s on Friday and couldn’t wait to hear from her on Saturday. I don’t think she’ll mind if I share her letter. She had already become such an enthusiastic supporter of Change the Truth, but now I know she is definitely smitten with the children she met at the orphanage! Thank you, Susan, for all your help.

“Saturday, February 17, 2007

I spent the entire day with the children and staff of St. Mary Kevin Orphanage. These are the children who will benefit from Gloria Baker Feinstein's Change the Truth Fund. As much as I don't want to sound like a public service announcement, I must say - each year we consider various organizations to give our money to. This year, we'll be sending to Change the Truth.




The above picture is of the older boys from the orphanage - some of whom are benefiting from Change the Truth. The young man second from left is Edward Male, the young man in the middle is Henry Semanda (my husband Alfredo’s pen pal) and the young man on the far right is Emma Vincent.

These young men and young women - danced and sang for me for an hour - it was unbelievable. In all that joy and excitement - you forget the conditions that many of these kids came from. I was lucky to interview a few of the boys. Emma Vincent stood out to me - he was on the street at a very early age - but was picked up by Rosemary when he was 8 - he's been at the orphanage since - he is now 14. He is soft spoken, very articulate, and an incredible dancer and singer. I was also able to interview Henry - he was sooooo nervous but so excited to read the letter that Alfredo had sent. He wants to grow up and be an electrician - it was so sweet!

I also met with the young children who were recently brought to the orphanage. They come from all different backgrounds and places and they've seen so much in their short lives. I will never know their struggles or understand them. However, I do know that in order for the orphanage to continue to provide beds, food, schooling, and love to these children they need an enormous amount of help.

My experience at the orphanage was an eye opener - how is it that so many have nothing.”

No comments: