"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Monday, August 04, 2014

the writing life

I'm writing a children's book. And I'm applying for a Guggenheim again.

This summer my Portland office has two branches.

One is located on the sidewalk at a cafe.
The other is at Powell's Book Store in the cafe.

I sip my chai latte, hammer away on my laptop and immerse myself in books and articles. (I can do all three things at the same time at both locations.)

There's a guy who sits behind me at my regular spot at Powell's. He makes paper flowers and chats it up with anyone who is curious about them. All day long. Every day. His name is World. Like "around the world." He's smart and friendly and super cool.  He gives away a lot of the flowers. He has a website.

There's a guy at the coffee shop who is there everyday, too. He sits at the counter and rocks back and forth.

There are so many sources of inspiration all around me here.

I love Portland.

Me

World

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Love it! What's the book about?!?

Anonymous said...

You're amazing!

Gloria Baker Feinstein said...

Jane,

Won't say yet. Need to make more progress. I'll keep you posted, though!

Jessica said...

That's super-exciting and sounds so fun! May I pre-order a copy since I know the author? :o)

Gloria Baker Feinstein said...

Your name is at the top of the list, Jessie! Could be a awhile, though :)