"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Monday, May 24, 2010

paula shteamer and caroline shteamer: mother and daughter

PS21

“A special banana fiber doll, created with love and affection by one of the caring children living at St. Mary Kevin Orphanage, inspired me in ways I never expected. When I volunteered to participate in the Change the Truth Doll Project, I could never have imagined how this creative experience would affect me.

Before I actually met her, I had many thoughts of how I might ‘decorate’ my doll. All of those thoughts, however, flew out of the window when I spotted her on Gloria’s dining room table, and ‘met’ her for the very first time. I took her home, held her, and simply stared, in awe of the long journey that she had made in order to arrive at my door. I felt a strong connection to her creator and to her home. I instantly knew that she was very special and I knew that anything that I might do to alter her appearance must indeed be worthy of her, worthy of the child who had created her from nature and from the heart… and lastly, worthy of me. I loved her instantly and I knew that we would be fast friends… she was indeed a ‘doll’ and I named her ‘Princess Eliza Mae’… honoring two special women who taught me, inspired me, and loved me for much of my life. I then I set out on my journey to add a dimension of myself to Eliza’s unique personality.

As an interior designer, I instinctively knew that I wanted to adorn my princess with color, texture, shape and sparkle … I wanted her to excite the senses. I wanted to emphasize her natural beauty. In order to link Princess Eliza Mae’s history with my own, I gathered and utilized materials that have special meaning to me… a connection from special design projects on which I have worked. I lovingly included unique yarns to adorn her dress... very special yarn fragments that remained from exquisite projects my darling, sweet mother had created years before. All of the materials I used were recycled and joined together in a whole new combination and arrangement. As I worked, memories flowed, and the creative process was exhilarating for me.

My hope is that the amazing child who actually created and crafted Princess Eliza Mae from natural banana fibers growing halfway around the world in Uganda, would be proud and happy to know how much his or her creation inspired me. One thing I know is true… ‘clothes do not make the man…or the doll.’ I know in my heart that Princess Eliza Mae was completely perfect before my creative process ever began. I simply added a bit of trimming to her already-perfect self. And, I might add, I was honored to do so." - Paula


CS22

“I knew I was out of my league as soon as I was asked to be a part of the action, but nevertheless, I was honored. I knew I could not pass up the opportunity to work with such a fantastic organization, among a group of such accomplished men and women. Unfortunately, it is not often enough that I have the chance to help someone else in a charitable way, and for the opportunity to do so, I am extremely thankful.

To be called an ‘artist’ seems a bit overstated. Although, I have never categorized myself as such, I have always enjoyed the creative process and I have, throughout the years, been extremely thankful for the invaluable artistic talents passed down to me from my mother. Beginning at a young age, I knew it was inevitable that art would become a constant part of my life.

Currently working as an Elementary Art Teacher for the Shawnee Mission School District, it is not every day (or even every month) that I come home and have the desire to create. However, as soon as I received my doll, the beautifully crafted banana leaf ‘canvas’ screamed at me, and the wheels began to turn (as they often do when I get excited about creating). Beginning with the stand, I worked my way up to her head, adding modest embellishments along the way. The doll itself, the natural coloring of the banana leaves, and my students with their constant energy, all served as my inspirations for this piece. Hopefully, after all of the paint, the beads, the sequins, and the painted cloth, my doll represents a harmonious little lady, with a whimsical and playful personality.” - Caroline

No comments: