"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Friday, May 14, 2010

ivan

One of our doll artists, Lee, recently won the coveted Sloan Art Award at Pembroke Hill High School here in Kansas City. (His doll and bio will be posted soon.) When I heard this exciting news, I got the idea to bestow an honorary art award to one of the kids at St. Mary Kevin Orphanage.

(drumroll…)

My made-up art award goes to..... ta-da!... Leku Ivan!


Ivan can sit at a table drawing or painting ALL DAY LONG. He gets so excited when we first show up and start unpacking the art supplies. I can just see the gears turning inside his head as he eyes the new boxes of pastels, the fresh brushes and pencils, canvas, tablets of paper and jars of acrylic paint. In the “art room,” he positions himself by the window for good light, and it is not until it starts to get dark outside that he finally begins cleaning up for the day.

Not only is he totally committed to making art when given the opportunity, he is happiest when doing so.

Plus, he’s very talented.

Ivan’s work gets scooped up pretty quickly at our fundraisers. Here are a few of the pieces we’ll have on hand this year. I think you’ll see why his work is so popular.






Here is Ivan’s story, in his own words:

“My story is that before I came to St. Mary Kevin, I lived with my mother plus my father as a family. But one day my father went to his job, He was a farmer and he liked the animals. By the time he reached the garden, he saw a big snake and the big snake saw him too. The snake injected him and he did not tell anyone. So the following day he died. During 2005, my mother was knocked by a car when she was crossing the road. So even she died. After that I lived with my grandmother. In 2006 she brought me here to St. Mary Kevin. Mama Rosemary liked me because I was hard working. She loved me and fed me. She wanted me to become an important person.

Thank you to Change the Truth supporters for everything you have done for all of us. You love us as your own children.”

No comments: