"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

bobbi


The people in Uganda are wonderful. They are friendly, helpful, and I feel completely safe. I know there are issues, past and present, but TODAY, I feel safe. I sit here wondering how to communicate this experience. I got to the orphanage today, and went into my yoga room. The mats were rolled up, and on a table. I asked the boys why they rolled the mats up, and they told me they had to sweep the floor. I didn't ask them to do that. So three boys and I reset the room up, and the yoga day began. The first class had 15 kids... here's the really cool thing. There's a kid, Sam, who I really connected to last year, and he loves yoga! And he's good at it. Tomorrow, he's teaching the class. I gave him the book, some paper, a pen, and it's all his. I think he's about 14. So I'm working on passing the torch. Mama Rosemary, Peter, Charles (our driver), Douglas and a couple new 'elders' were in the next class. Mama's doctor told her she was going to have to go to exercise classes…yoga...and pay 10.00 per class. She does our class each day and at home and feels great. In the yoga classes...during relaxation, shavasana, at the end, all these little kids come and lay down on the mats and fall asleep...The adults fall asleep and I just let them sleep....they’re beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Next day)

Today was another day. Today was the day that Samuel would teach his first yoga class. Last night he had the book with all the poses in it, some paper and a pen.....I said nothing throughout the class. He led poses I've never led and can't do. He had them breathe in every pose, he did warm ups, strong poses, cool downs, and meditation. I brought the kids together at the end to acknowledge him, and talk about what we thought of his class... just like we did in our teacher's training. My first major tears. There's another kid who wants to teach as well. Samuel walked around assisting kids who had trouble. He led the class in their native language, Lugandan. They all speak English well, but when they're with each other it's usually Lugandan. He'd had only 3 classes!!!!!!!! THREE! It took me 10 weekends and a lot of anxiety to teach my first class...no kidding!!!!!"













1 comment:

Tuxedobird said...

I teared up just reading your post...fabulous.