"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Saturday, August 23, 2008

coming up empty sometimes

And so it goes. One day of working can yield a small gold mine of material; the next day can be a bust. Yesterday was great, and today was simply an exercise in pushing my index finger again and again on a shutter button.

Here are a couple of pictures that I felt were successes from my streetcar shooting yesterday.




This neon sign greets me each day as I leave the apartment to work. An inspiration, of sorts.


My friend Cheryl came by today and took a look at the work in progress. She said the images reminded her of the work of Romare Bearden, an artist with whom I was not familiar. A google search led me to, among others, this collage.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the bands of color separating the cars and the people. I can't put into words the mental effect of those colorful dividers.

It's always a bit tricky, saying one artist reminds of another.... but Richard Estes did come back to mind, with his urban scenes and his use of reflectivity. Estes's work reminds me of wonder-full days of riding buses with my grandma, usually to go downtown (oh the layers of reflection there!).... Your work in Portland brings that all back, too, as if I am experiencing it again. (Thank you!)

--KB