"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

columbia river gorge

Since I come from flat, landlocked Kansas City, my senses are groovin' on being in the Pacific Northwest. I figured it might be nice to show you why!


On my day trip. as I mentioned, I started out at Multnomah Falls. (I was at the trail head exactly 45 minutes after I located my Zip car and left our neighborhood in Portland!) Multnomah Falls' claim to fame, other than its beauty and it's power, is that, at 620 feet, it is the second largest year-round waterfall in the the U.S. (Oh, and the fact that it has been doing its thing for a mere 12,000 years is impressive, too.)

It was so green and so lush; every which way I turned I was surrounded by moss-hung forests and lichen-covered rocks.




The view of the Columbia River as I headed for the top of the falls was pretty darn beautiful.


My next stop, Horsetail Falls, was cool because the hike took me behind the falls.


When I pulled up at the Cathedral Ridge Winery in Hood River, I was caught off guard when I looked at the vineyards and saw Mt. Adams in the background. Once I caught my breath, I turned 180 degrees to see Mt. Hood!

There was thunderous applause - coming from my eyelashes, of course.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You really must check out Silver Falls State Park ~ I grew up in Silverton! It's really got the beautiful "tropical" lush forests and I think you would enjoy it...

Billie Mercer said...

Gloria, I think you all made a great choice on where to have a second home. I love San Miguel but I can see the photo ops in Portland too.