"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

Friday, June 01, 2007

email from ushmm

Because I am on the board of directors for the Midwest Center for Holocaust Education, this stunning email from the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum (USHMM) in Washington DC was shared with me:

“Just last week we launched our Arabic and Farsi Web sites. Here is the first comment, translated from the Arabic. It is from an individual in Yemen:

‘I was very surprised and shocked, especially by these personal stories that hurt my heart. I didn't realize that the Holocaust really happened. We learned that this historical event is a lie and that it never happened. But after I visited with a religious Islamic group that museum, I realized, being confronted with the proofs at the museum, that we are indoctrinated in the Middle-East with false education, that leads to antisemitism and hatred towards Jews, and worse, to killing and murdering them. One should never stop to learn new things that lead to the truth. I would appreciate it if you sent me more things to read about the Holocaust; it's religious and historical and ideological background and the main cause why it happened, especially why against Jews and why antisemitism. Thus, I can learn more about it in order to understand it and teach the youth here about the truth. I am awaiting your response via e-mail. And we want to know the full truth.’ “

No comments: